Monday, January 12, 2015

A time to say goodbye or is it a new start?

Iberian Lynx, Sumatran Orangutan, Northern Hairy-Nosed Wombat, Wild Bactrian Camel, Dama Gazelle, Seychelles Sheath-Tailed Bat, Chinese Alligator, Black Richoceros, Pied Tamarin and leatherback Turtle, they are the upcoming ten species that has a high possibility to be extinct according to Scientific American. Certainly if human continue imposing the anthropological impact on biodiversity, the future of wildlife species is not very optimistic. The Sixth Mass Extinction would that can be compared to the previous five mass extinction is coming, stated by biologists (Wake and Vredenburg, 2008; Walger, 2011). And this message is confirmed by palaeontologists using fossil records, which suggested that the current extinction risk is higher than would be expected (Barnosky, 2011).

To shift the kiss goodbye scenario to a new start, it needs the participation of multiple sectors and cooperation of different elements. Science, citizen science, social science, geographical data collection, public awareness and public education should all contribute to reduce the negative impact of human-related pressure. Such pressure has caused biodiversity loss and disfunction of ecosystem services. So it needs to address solutions from different disciplines. Keep the self-empowered hope and a coexistence system between wildlife and human can be achieved. This is the logic of my blog posting.

And same question for this blog: a kiss goodbye or new start? As you might know, I started posting this blog and feel pressured to keep it regularly posted because of "fear" as this blogging is my Master course requirement. But later I think I realised my "love" in blogging and communication with my potential readers in different ways on different contents. I think love, the love for the topic, the love for your own presentation, is so much more powerful than fear. So yeah, my blogging would be a new start shortly! Yet the most powerful instrument might be money as economists would suggest, perhaps students shall be rewarded for posting blogs on day from University ;).

I also want to take this opportunity to thank the lecturers and teaching assistants who give me this opportunity for this fun learning opportunity. I am very grateful for all my readers and supporters. Just like the begining of my blog, I want to end this special blog posting period with a video my friend and me made before. It is about an endangered species conservation programme on Palawan Forest turtles, who is under human impact of land use change and illegal poaching.

The youtube engine on blogger does not work this time. So enjoy it here by clicking the link!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXpZNJSu4c0

and here is also a Facebook Campaign on this programme. Find me! Find me!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.603421439687974.1073741825.169655696397886&type=3




No comments:

Post a Comment